天天海南鸡饭 (English name: Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice) is pretty famous. From Singapore, it was listed in the Michelin Guide with a Bib two years in a row. With this acclaim, business boomed! Long queues of tourists flocked this inexpensive food hawker stall that serves up a plate of Hainan chicken rice for a mere $5 SGD (that's around $30 HKD). It garnered fans like Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay. And of course, Michelin as well.With that fame came expansion. Their latest is an opening in

With that fame came expansion. Their latest is an opening in Hong Kong.  Located in Causeway Bay's Fashion Walk area, it is now called Tian Tian Plus. The addition of plus is that it also comprises other Singaporean Michelin Bib Gourmands: A Noodle Story, The 1950s Coffee (五十年代) and Lao Jie Fang Braised Beef Noodle. All of them hawker stands in Singapore. All of them cheaply priced but super delicious.

Of course, in Hong Kong, it's no longer a hawker stand but an actual sit down and order restaurant. With wait staff and a Caucasian hostess. With double the price tag and with 10% service charge. Oh my.

But I was still curious so I came on a weekday for lunch.  Arriving at 1:30 PM, I waited for 15 minutes.  However, I do want to complain about how they let people in. There was one moment where the hostess asked if there was anyone in line that could fill a four table spot. Those people who were in the back of the line got a table immediately. This didn't bide well with the people who were in front of them. Another moment was when the hostess asked the four other people and me if we would like to wait inside and we'll be provided with a table when ready. Grateful for the air conditioning, we went in. We were each provided with a ticket and I was number 1 But when tables were assigned, I was the last one to get one. What was the point of getting number one when I'm the last one in? AND I sat next to these same group of people in the long communal table provided.

During lunch time, they have a lunch menu. Menu is in English and Chinese. There is 10% service charge but as it's newly opened, they have temporarily waived it. Lunch session has the sets. As you can tell, the Hainan chicken rice costs $80 here. That's the price of two and half plates in Singapore!

They also have drinks if you are not interested in that what is provided but note, the a la carte drinks cost around $35.

At night, this menu is not available. Instead they will have an a la carte menu where you are expected to order half a chicken for $268.

And the rice is sold separately. The dinner menu also has gone extremely high end with items like wagyu beef on a salt block.

Like everyone else around me, I ordered the Hainan chicken rice. As we are now in nicer surroundings, it was served on a pretty plate and gold utensils. It arrived pretty fast (because honestly, everything was pre-cooked). Portion size was ok for a light eater. For those with bigger stomachs, this will definitely leave you starving. The rice was amazing. It definitely is the highlight of the entire dish. It was rich and fragrant with the taste of chicken. It wasn't oily or at least oily enough for you to gag.

The chicken meat was firm and smooth. It had the texture of free range chicken. The skin did not have huge layers of fat on it.

This came with chili sauce. Though the photo also had sweet soy sauce, it wasn't provided for me. When asked, they replied it was not available. Very strange but then I saw someone else have it. Provision of condiments was a bit scattered. I was provided with chili sauce. The couple next to me didn't get it at all and when they saw I had this, they asked for it. Anyways, the chili sauce was pretty spicy.

It also came with a clear chicke broth. Very clean in taste though  I suspect there was MSG  added as I felt parched after eating it.

I also added a coffee for $18. This is from The 1950s Coffee. Another hawker stand where they serve this coffee for $1 SGD (around $5 HKD) but not here! It was clearly a Singaporean style coffee. Rich and strong with a heavy taste of sweetness from the condensed milk. It went down smooth though quite honestly, I think the Semua Semua  Food Gourmet in Sham Shui Po did a far better cup.

The chicken rice is clearly the star. It was amazing. Though yes, it also double how much it costs in Singapore. But then Hong Kong is famous for being over priced in everything they sell (CitySuper anyone?). Service was a bit scattered. For example, before I sat down, I was presented with a bowl of tofu pudding. I looked confused and said, is this free? Because I just sat down and a menu wasn't even provided yet. The tofu pudding was presented to me again half way through my meal when I clearly didn't order it. I swear, if this tofu pudding was presented to me a third time, I'm was just going to eat it. Service still needs to work out the kinks. I may be back but probably for take away as it's only $69 if you take away. Just doesn't include soup which is fine with me as I suspect it was laced with MSG. I also give it a 2 stars value for money. Normally, I'd give it more but knowing I could have ordered two plates and then some in Singapore, I give the Hong Kong branch a low value for money rating.
Taste