2016-09-26 1743 views
I went to The Beach House for my birthday and reserved a table for 5pm. We were hikin the South Lantau Country Trail that day and arrived late - at 5.45pm. The waiter made a sidecomment about us being 45 minutes late when we arrived and that our table wasn't ready although the restaurant was 15% full. I don't know if this makes sense to you, but this already irked us.SettingThis is the best thing about the restaurant.The location and ambience of this restaurant is its greatest (and only) asset.

Setting
This is the best thing about the restaurant.
The location and ambience of this restaurant is its greatest (and only) asset. You can hardly go wrong when you seize the beachfront property.
In its place used to be The Stoep - a South African place, which served great food. The Beach House totally renovated its formerly shabby interiors and now everything is new and much nicer. Especially the bathrooms.

In terms of cleanliness, however, The Beach House falters in day-to-day mainenance. I know it's a beach restaurant and there will inevitably be sand everywhere, but they could at least pick up the food and crumbs from the diners. There are stains all over their couches, which is also fine, but food scraps are unacceptable. Especially when we've made a reservation and everything should have been cleaned and prepared beforehand.

The staff were overly casual to the point of irreverence and complacency. They were just so lazy; it took forever to order. They were the opposite of attentive. We had to keep calling their attention. They took forever to bring some dishes. Obviously more training needs to be done here.

Food
Mediocre at best. The menu was recently updated but still the same old regular western food.

The burger and steak were standard, servings were pretty large, price was high (comparable to Central) but at least you get a lot more for it.
The "Moroccan Chicken" was described as 'spicy' - it was not. Tajine isn't even spicy anyway. Flavour and texture were okay for roast chicken but if you're looking for Moroccan chicken then it falls flat.
The Lantau Salad was alright, needed more figs.
The steak was pretty hefty. We appreciated the serving size.
Chips / fries were huge. Wish they had a sweet potato (healthier) option but that's really asking for too much already here.....

Mille Feuille – A thousand leaves layered with custard cream, strawberry coulis, caramelized almonds

This was absolutely horrific. It was so oily and old tasting, the opposite of crisp and light, all I could taste was oil and heavy pastry and cream cream cream drowning everything. It was every patisserie's nightmare come to life.

Would I return?
Not for the food or service. It was really so traumatic - especially on my birthday - that I would probably try all the other restaurants on Lower Cheung Sha before returning to this one.
Taste