Restaurant: King Ludwig Beerhall
Info:

To promote a new salt and sugar reduction (RSS) dietary culture and living style to the people of Hong Kong, the Food and Health Bureau, the Committee on Reduction of Salt and Sugar in Food and the Centre for Food Safety of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department has launched the "League of RSS-friendly Restaurants" ("League"). Restaurants participated in the League will offer less-salt-and-sugar options to the consumer or even tailor-make less salt or sugar dishes in designated restaurants. Participating restaurants will be granted with the League Labels for displaying in the premises for public identification. For details, please click here, https://rssless.hk

2015-07-24 6976 views
If you are looking for a chill night away from the over populated city, Stanley is a great idea! It was quite late when we got to Stanley after work, most of the places were closed, so we just basically went for anything that were still open, and here we were at King Ludwig.The first thing I noticed as I walked in was the very high celling, the many European flags (some looks to be regional), and live music! Even with just a keyboard and a singer, live music was what set the mood and gave this p
The first thing I noticed as I walked in was the very high celling, the many European flags (some looks to be regional), and live music! Even with just a keyboard and a singer, live music was what set the mood and gave this place a whole different vibe.
The menu was simple, and food items are quite traditional (I think), I’ve seen most of these dishes in Germany, or that I was in the tourist area and got the tourist menu... Anyways, we decided to start with a beer/ cocktail then tried a few things which looked familiar to us.
First of all, the lovely goulash soup! I could smell it already as they were bringing it to us. Their service is worth mentioning too, we ordered 1 portion and they split it into 2 bowls for us! How thoughtful!
goulash soup
Then Schweinshaxe (the famous pork knuckle), this thing was huge! They presented this dish with the intact pork knuckle, and then offered to cut it off the bone for us! Again, very thoughtful service. Back to the pork knuckle: the skin was crispy and the fatty part melted in my mouth; the meat was juicy and tender.
pork knuckle
We got another potato cake dish, the ham steak was well flavored but the texture isn’t as nice as I had hoped; the potato cakes were pretty good, I really liked how flaky and crispy they were but yet still moist and soft in the middle.
Grilled Ham Steak with with Potato Cakes
The highlight of this meal to me was actually the side dish: potato salad! It tasted exactly like the ones I had in Germany, a little warning: this salad is more to the sour side than you might expect, most potato salads in HK are quite bland, this one is more complex, with a lot more flavors, I loved it!
Potato salad
As a meat lover, it is very easy for me to like German food; the fact that this restaurant does it so well makes them even more lovable~ I’ll be back!
Taste