Went on a weekday evening at 7pm. Just to be safe, I made a booking for a table several hours prior to arriving. When I arrived, I could see from the booking schedule that the restaurant was close to fully booked already.
Ordered the following dishes:
1. Lotus root soup (soup of the day) -- 4 of 5 stars. Tasty soup, and the lotus root was crunchy to bite into.
2. Suckling plate platter -- 5 of 5 stars. Yum yum yummy. Very crispy skin. So good that describing it will not do the taste justice. You just have to eat this.
3. Preserved vegetables with 3 layered pork ("mui choy kao yok) - 4 of 5 stars. I like it that the preserved vegetables are not too salty. I would have given it 4.5 stars if not for the fact that the pork was too fatty for my liking. To be fair, the dish is a 3 layered pork (one layer skin, one layer fat, one layer meat) dish.
4. Red hot bean curd ("hong siew yong tau foo") - 4 of 5 stars. The bean curd is stuffed with a minced meat stuffing. And there's some green vegetable that is placed below the bean curd. Not bad.
5. Sweet potato and snow fungus soup desert - 3.5 of 5 stars. This one is on the house. Sweet and warm clear soup desert. I like this. But it's standard fare that I could boil on my own.
Some reviewers commented on the lack of choice on the menu, which I was baffled. Even for the 4 person set menu where you choose any 3 dishes, there are between 50 to 60 dishes to choose from. I've tried the house chicken on my previous visits (will give it 3.5 out of 5 stars), but I'd say the Singapore Hainan Chicken is much tastier.
In terms of service, I have no complaints. I was there when the house was not too full. The waitress wasn't grumpy as some other reviewers commented. However, I did notice an hour into my dinner when the restaurant was almost full, the service staff was overwhelmed. The problem is that each waitress is assigned to a section of over 10 tables, so you may not get prompt attention during crowded hours.
Spent around HKD 450 for 3 persons (ordered a 4 person set meal, plus the tea and rice charges)
Recommended Dish(es): Suckling pig,Preserved vegetables with 3 layered pork,Red hot bean curd
Table Wait Time: 0 minute(s)
Date of Visit: Dec 19, 2012
Spending per head: Approximately HKD115(Dinner)
Value for Money4
Keep it up!