Black n White
English Address : Unit B&D, 88-102 Ivy Street Tai Kok Tsui
Chinese Address : 大角咀埃華街88-102號B&D舖
Map : Display Map
Phone No. : 2789 1330
(Add to Contacts)
Categories : Western | Western Restaurant | Coffee & Tea Shop | Dessert
Spending : $41-$100
Overall Score : 3.6
81 vs 34 vs 8
Photo>> Bookmark as Favourite Restaurant>>
Opening Hours: 星期一至五: 12:00-23:00
Payment Method: Visa、Master、Cash
1 to 5 of 13 reviews:
Wishy Washy raspberry bathing duck
Next Page >
supersupergirl (2537 Review(s))
I have always wanted to try Black n White but the desserts there were not irresistible enough.
However when I saw the recent reviews on the yellow duck on foam, it changed my mind.
When I got there, the place was really busy so waited quite a while before I got served.
The dessert took a while to come too.
Raspberry bathing duck:
The presentation was exactly as shown on the product shot but the colour of the foam was lighter than photos from previous reviews.
The froth was light pink but lacked raspberry taste.
The duck on top was edible and made of chocolate, and the tiramisu was made of mascarpone cheese, raspberry jelly and raspberry foam and Italian ladyfingers.
As I do not like coffee, a raspberry alternative to tiramisu was a great idea but the taste of raspberry was faint and I didn't like the Italian ladyfingers because it was hard and not soaked.
I would have preferred the raspberry jelly to have a fruitier taste and the sharpness of the raspberries to be stronger.
There was not enough wishy washy raspberry liquid because the duck could not float and the liquid was just surrounding the tiramisu and not really covering the tiramisu.
Overall I felt that the dessert was a little too sickly and the taste was let down by the raspberry artificial flavour.
Service charge: no
Yummy factor: Could be better
Sweetness levels: acceptable
Napkins provided: yes
Portion sizes: big
Noise levels: Noisy
Glass of water provided: No
English Menu: Yes
Air Conditioning: Yes
Rating : Taste3 Environment3 Service3 Hygiene3 Value for Money3
Dirty Dancing Cake, Bathing Duck & Animal Macarons
Stephs852Diary (137 Review(s))
black n white最近推出一系列以小動物為主題的新甜品來迎接夏日! 黃色小鴨"Bathing Duck"底下是Tiramisu。用白巧克力製成的小鴨超級可愛, 我當時真的有點兒不想吃它，但最後也把它吃掉了...另外還有動物馬卡龍,例如配72%巧克力鬆餅的小熊馬卡龍。 快點去black n white開個美味的動物派對吧！
Before we realize, winter is over, the sun is out and the weather is nice and sunny again! It didn't seem that long ago when I last visited black n white to try out their winter muffin collection. Before I continue rambling on about how time flies, let me review the animal-themed desserts that I ate last weekend!
As some of you may know, Dirty Dancing, the musical based on the first Dirty Dancing movie (one of my favourite movies!), is performing in Hong Kong from Saturday, 19 April 2013 onwards, and black n white has a special edition Dirty Dancing Cake (Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake, $40) to help promote the musical. The chocolate cake tasted incredibly smooth and chocolatey, and doesn't the pink chocolate ribbon make you want to put on "Time of My Life" and start dancing to it?
If I just show you a photo of this dessert, Raspberry Bathing Duck, without telling you what it is, what will be your guess? I thought that it was some sort of berry mousse, but I guessed it wrong, and it was actually a Raspberry Tiramisu ($68)! Rich, sensuous mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers and some raspberry jelly lay underneath a layer of pink raspberry foam. The chef used molecular techniques to infuse raspberry flavours into the foam. The raspberry foam tasted wonderfully fruity, which perfectly complemented the creaminess of the mascarpone. The ingredients of the tiramisu were not in layers, but were instead all mixed up in a moveable bowl - you could use a spoon to dig for your favorite ingredient while the bowl moved about, which would surely remind you of a bubble bath! The tiramisu was not alcoholic and didn't have much coffee in it, so it would be suitable for kids to eat (and, of course, adults too).The rubber duckling looked very pretty, yet I still had to eat it and the white chocolate was milky and delectable.
The other "animals" were a hippo, an owl, a panda and a teddy bear. These animal macarons cost $38 each, which is a bit more expensive than the usual macarons, but don't they look so innocent, cute and edible? The hippo and the panda were vanilla flavoured macarons with a cassis marshmallow, as opposed to buttercream, filling, and the teddy bear and the owl were chocolate flavoured.
For $68, you can get an Animal Macaron Cupcake, which gives you one animal macaron and a "cupcake" - the "cupcake" is actually one of black n white's housemade muffins, which I have introduced before. The freshly-baked muffins I ate last time were warm, and the muffins in the Animal Macaron Cupcake this time were cold, because otherwise the cream would melt, but they still tasted delicious. This happy family looked heartwarmingly adorable, and brightened up my day! If you prefer to eat hot muffins, you can order the muffins on the menu separately.
Teddy bear was paired with a 72% Dark Chocolate Muffin.
Mr. Panda was paired with a Raspberry Rosemary Muffin.
The owl sat on a Salted Caramel Muffin.
Hippo was paired with a Blueberry Cinnamon Muffin.
Black n white always puts a few intricate cakes on display, and this Raspberry Chocolate Handbag had no raspberries in it at all - the "raspberries" were actually chocolate, I certainly could not tell!
This handbag cake also looks beautiful, I wonder what flavour it is?
Rating : Taste4 Environment3 Service4 Hygiene4 Value for Money4
caffeinebear (19 Review(s))
I've seen a lot of black n white desserts on instagram, so i decided to go try for myself. They have afternoon tea sets, which consists of a dessert cup or a cut cake with a drink.
I chose green tea latte whilst my friend had their famous sinking chocolate.
The green tea latte was creamy and filled with green tea flavour. I think it could have been a bit more smooth. I love how theres a mini whisk on the side for me to mix the drink. Very cute.
The sinking chocolate is very impressive. The chocolate dome is available in milk, dark and white chocolate, and its appearance looks amazing. It looks like a cake in drink form.
Once you place the dome into the hot chocolate, it starts melting and sinking immediately. The sinking process lasts for a few seconds (so if you want photos, act quick!). The chocolate is thick and easily makes you feel very full. I'm sure cG:6]
The Signature is made with dark chocolate ganache and dark chocolate cream. There's cream cheese and the base is made of hazelnut cookie. I like the base because it was crunchy but wasn't too oily (which happens often). The cake is nicely decorated (in fact all of them are). Definitely recommend this for dark chocolate lovers.
The Cassis Marshmallow isn't as heavy, and contains a white chocolate mousse base. The meringue on top is crunchy and light, but honestly I'm not a fan of meringue. The cassis mallow, jelly and mousse was good.
Overall a nice place to have tea. I would recommend the sinking chocolate because it's pretty unique. Not all the cakes are available everyday and they sell out, but I'm sure everyone will be able to find one which they're attracted to!
Recommended Dish(es): Sinking Island
Rating : Taste4 Environment3 Service3 Hygiene3 Value for Money3
Lots of selection
Lickstongue (3 Review(s))
So I wanted to try this place as I love dessert and I always pass by it.
It was a Friday. And we already had to wait outside it was around 9.30. So we decided to get take out
There are lots of variety of cakes, crepe, frozen yogurt and also gelato.
We choose the red wine braised pear cream cheese cake and also a chocolate brownie with cinnamon blueberry crepe.
The cake was a disappointment. No red wine taste to the pear. But the crepe was wonderful. There wasn't cinnamon for the blueberry. But the texture of the whole crepe was very nice. They also have I think a crunchy Caramel in the crepe to make it extra nice
I will definitely go again and try all their other desserts.
Date of Visit: 2013-02-23
Spending per Head: HKD50
Rating : Taste4 Environment5 Service4 Hygiene4 Value for Money4
Lovely Muffins, Cream Puff & CNY Choc Treasure Box
Stephs852Diary (137 Review(s))
Thank you black n white for having me!
If there is one thing that I am sure of since my previous visit to black n white, it is that black n white is a hit in Hong Kong. This unassuming dessert cafe in Tai Kok Tsui, helmed by celebrity chef Jeffrey Koo, is constantly churning out new products to lure us back for more.
With the Christmas products sold out, Chef Koo now introduces something to help us keep warm in the cold weather - muffins!
These buttery delights, which can practically be eaten at all times during the day, come in 5 flavours and are sold at $20 each. If you are feeling adventurous (and/or hungry), you can order the muffin set at $88 and devour all 5 flavours!
上次到black n white 試了多款精緻又美味的朱古力蛋糕及甜品，現在又有新系列! 我這次吃了鬆脆暖胃的鬆餅，很喜歡熱烘烘的黑朱古力軟心鬆餅，每一口都充滿香濃的朱古力味，十分滋味。還有香甜幼滑的焦糖杏仁雲呢嗱忌廉泡芙，和裝滿杏仁或榛子朱古力的手製的朱古力賀年禮盒，感覺非常甜蜜!
(1) I'll start with the lightest muffin, the Lemongrass muffin. The touch of lemongrass was utterly refreshing, and the citric taste cut through the butteriness and made for a delightfully fruity muffin. Next, the Raspberry Rosemary Muffin. I really liked the distinctive herbal taste of rosemary, and its fragrance lingered in the mouth. I understand that rosemary may not be everyone's cup of tea, but do give it a try if you can - I don't think I have seen this flavour anywhere else in Hong Kong! Thirdly, the Blueberry Cinnamon Muffin. This classic muffin is always satisfying, and the blueberries gave the muffin an extra layer of soft, mushy texture. The cinnamon taste was very mild, so don't worry if you're not a fan of cinnamon. Fourthly, the Salted Caramel Muffin - I simply adore salted caramel...Underneath the crust was a soft, tender muffin with a salted caramel filling. The filling was not completely melted yet, but the alluring sweetness of the caramel made up for it. Lastly, the 72% Dark Chocolate Muffin. Look at that gorgeous mud black colour - the chocolate muffin was very chocolatey from top to bottom. A thin layer of melted dark chocolate is coated over a hot, moist muffin. The chocolate filling oozed out as we cut the muffin open and it was a very happy moment!
(2) As each muffin is freshly baked upon order, it might take some time for them to arrive at your table. You could enjoy a cup of frothy latte and catch up with friends while you wait, which was what I did!
(3) If you order a cup of Sinking Island ($38), you can add $10 to get a muffin. This chocolate drink comes in 3 flavours: white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate (72%). Having tried dark chocolate last time, I decided to go for the white chocolate drink. The drink was sweet and decadent, and its creamy consistency was broken up by some ground cocoa bean sprinkled at the top. Instead of a sinking tropical island, the pure colours of this drink reminded me of a snow mountain!
(4) black n white has also introduced cream puffs which come in two flavours. The first one I tried was the caramel and almond vanilla cream puff ($38). The puff itself was light and airy, and it had a beautiful, crumbly crust which I adored. The cream filling was fine and smooth, and a piece of buttery almond cookie sat at the base of this lovely dessert.
(5) More playful was the black olive and chocolate cream puff ($38). You can trust black n white to make chocolate-flavoured desserts, but the addition of black olives in a cream puff was rather unexpected! It tasted surprisingly pleasant, and in fact, the taste of black olive could have been even stronger for a more shocking effect.
(6) Instead of the usual biscuits and candies, when you visit your friends or relatives this Chinese New Year, you can consider buying them a Chocolate Treasure Box ($488) from black n white's CNY Chocolate Gift Collection!
The Treasure Box is filled with tasty chocolates.
There is a Golden Chocolate Hazelnut flavour, and a Sparkling Chocolate Almond flavour. Both flavours were awesome, but I preferred hazelnut just because I personally always find hazelnut a fantastic match with chocolates.
If you believe that good things come in small packages, you could buy a Mini Chocolate Treasure Box ($368) instead, which contains 4 mini chocolate treasure boxes!
Rating : Taste5 Environment4 Service4 Hygiene4 Value for Money3
Next Page >
Copyright © 1999 - 2013 Openrice Group Inc. 版權所有 不得轉載
Hong Kong's Most Popular Dining Guide,
with restaurant search, restaurants reviews, and dining coupons.