OpenRice 主頁      English OpenRice      TableMap      開飯遊踨
   中文 | English
jodi
This is jodi living in Happy Valley. I am a foodie. I like to hang out in Central, Causeway Bay. Sichuan, Japanese, French are my favorite cuisines. .
Member 0 First(s)
No. of Review29 Review(s)
編輯推介數目0 Editor's Choice
Recommended4 Recommended
Popularity5602 View(s)
Replies in Forum10 Comment(s)
Upload Photos35 Photo(s)
Upload Videos0 Video(s)
My Recommended Reviews43 Recommended Review(s)
我的餐廳0 My Restaurant(s)

Full View Full View   |   Map View Map View
Showing 1 to 5 of 29 Reviews in Hong Kong & Nearby Region
It was better before OK Dec 28, 2008   Edit
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Snack Shop & Deli | Chinese Buns

I am a rice roll, aka cheung fun maniac (not 10000 Maniacs). I love it and I can eat it all the time. Some years ago I discovered this place and its rice roll. Though not freshly made, it was piping hot, and smooth as silk. One of the best I have eaten.
Today, continued with our journey for computer gadget, we stopped by for its famous rice roll. It was still OK, but not as steaming hot as it should be, and less velvety as before. Was it because the shop was too busy? I don't know. Must say I was a bit disappointed.

Spending per head: Approximately HK$5(Tea)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 3  |
 1  |

Full bodied food Smile Dec 28, 2008   Edit
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Dai Pai Dong | Noodles/Rice Noodles

We were in Shumshuipo looking for computer gadget. As it was a pleasant day in December, we decided to try this Daipaidong for lunch.Though I know Shumshuipo very well from my days as a garment designer, I never explored to this side of town. Had it not from Openrice, I would never have discovered this place on my own.
We ordered following:
Lo Mien with special soy sauce ($18). The slightly sweet sauce went very well with the al dente noodle. Highlight of the noodle was the lard, which add the smoothness. Delicious.
Lo Mien with Pig Knuckle and Beef Brisket ($33). Both the pig knuckle and beef brisket were braised to tenderness in Chu Hau sauce. Colour was really dark, and taste was rich. It reminded me of a good red wine, full of body, bold, and very well round. One satisfying bite and I felt like heaven.
The traditional bonito broth that served together with the Lo Miens was MSG free and very flavourful.
Blanched Chinese Kale ($12). Just like all good blanched vegetable, they were crisp and green. As usual I never put any oyster sauce to the veggie. Anyway, they were already tasty with some soy sauce and lard (of course).
I am afraid I have to return very soon!

Recommended Dish(es):  All of the above

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |
 1  |

Hidden Gem Smile Dec 15, 2008   Edit
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Tea Restaurant | Noodles/Rice Noodles

This hole in a wall is located in the dark and dingy basement of a very run down mall in Tsimsy. It can be quite intimidating to try searching for it. But with their signature dish, the famous tomato soup noodle, this place attract many people to brave their way through the scarry stairs that lead to it.
We had the Tomato noodle with fried egg and the Tomato noodle with beef (both were $23). Egg always goes well with tomato, and the sliced beef was naturally taste, not marinated with baking soda. The thick tomato sauce that covered the noodle was sweet and fresh.
We left the place completely satisfied.
Tomato Egg Noodle

Tomato Egg Noodle

Tomato Beef Noodle

Tomato Beef Noodle

Spending per head: Approximately HK$30(Lunch)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

1 Vote(s)   View Results
Art of cutlet Smile Dec 15, 2008   Edit
Categories : Japanese | Business Dining

We finally make it.
I have been reading many reviews about this restaurant. They are mostly positive, except the enormous difficulty in getting a table. Frankly speaking, I was daunted. Waiting for 1 to 3 hours for a table is not exactly my idea of fun.
After months of hesitation, we decided to try it out on a weekday. We arrived at 6tonguem, and were quickly seated. No waiting was required. Although we were not seated at the booth with the harbour view, but hey, it 's better than queuing, no?
The place is very spacious with nice setting. It is very different from Tonkatsu restaurants in Tokyo. For instance, the famous Futaba in Ueno, is situated in a small house with basic and traditional Japanese interior. Also unlike Japan, where they only serve deep-fried breaded pork cutlet, this place have much more variety to suit local customer. Personally, I prefer the Japanese way of specializing, but I think this is very difficult to survive in HK.
Back to the food. We ordered the Pork Loin set with soybean paste, and the Deep-fried Oyster set. The portion was generous. Both the pork loin and the oyster were crisp and golden, and not greasy at all. The pork loin in particular was very tender and juicy. The soybean paste was too sweet for my taste though. I think the original sauce with the grinded sesame goes better with the pork, as the tartness "wake up" the meat. Together with the set was unlimited supply of finely julienned cabbage, which was fresh and crunchy, and lighten the deep-fried food. The rice and miso soup was just standard fare, nothing special.
Service was attentive enough. But the waitress was not speaking many English, and I ended up translating everything to my husband. Anyway I looked around and hubby was the only qweilo.
For $200 per head, I think it is good value.
By the time we left the restaurant there was a small queue, but not as scarry as some might have described. I would strongly recommend to come here on a weekday.
Deep-fried Breaded Pork cutlet

Deep-fried Breaded Pork cutlet

Deep-fried Breaded Oyster

Deep-fried Breaded Oyster

Spending per head: Approximately HK$200(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

1 Vote(s)   View Results
Comfort food Smile Dec 03, 2008   Edit
Categories : Japanese | Ramen

I always prefer eating ramen in chilly weather. It always feel comforting with a hot bowl of noodle soup in the winter. As the temperature had been dropping in these last days of November, we set out for ramen in this joint in Central.
It was lunch time and this restaruant was really busy. Fortunately there were only two of us, and we were quickly seated. Service was very straight forward, but not as rude as some had commented.
We ordered the Ramen with Thick Miso Soup and with Pork Broth (both $65). The portion was very generous, with thick pieces of braised pork, fresh Japanese leek, pieces of wakame and some sweet corn. The pork broth I had was full of flavour, and the thick miso soup rich and tasty. The braised pork was very tender and juicy, and the leek balanced the richness of the broth. But the highlight was the noodle itself. Imported from Hokaido, it was slightly al dente, and remained chewy until the end. I think the noodle was really good. Best in HK.
Thick Miso Soup

Thick Miso Soup

Spending per head: Approximately HK$75(Lunch)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |