OpenRice 主頁      English OpenRice      TableMap      開飯遊踨
   中文 | English
m.antoinette
This is m.antoinette . I like to hang out in Kowloon City, Yuen Long. I also love Hot Pot, Noodles/Rice Noodles, Dessert.
Member 0 First(s)
No. of Review40 Review(s)
編輯推介數目2 Editor's Choice
Recommended9 Recommended
Popularity6316 View(s)
Replies in Forum8 Comment(s)
Upload Photos206 Photo(s)
Upload Videos0 Video(s)
My Recommended Reviews0 Recommended Review(s)
我的餐廳38 My Restaurant(s)
Display: AllHong Kong Macau Shenzhen

Full View Full View   |   Map View Map View
Showing 1 to 5 of 40 Reviews in Hong Kong & Nearby Region
Categories : Western | Dessert

Found out from of a friend ... research has shown that a female's tummy expands once they hear the word "dessert". I guess that explains my second appetite for sweets. It probably also explains why there was not a single male customer even though this place was almost full! Had lunch with girls then decided to properly end our meal with dessert at Sift. I've read reviews and have always wanted to try this place. Since I had lunch in Central, I took this perfect opportunity to try it out!

Dessert Bar

Entering the restaurant, couldn't help but swoon at the sweet smell of baked goods. Got a table at the actual bar where we could watch the chefs prepare all of our desserts. I really liked the concept of a dessert bar: it's quite rare to get one of these in HKG so its a new experience coming here. The sight of chefs gradually folding dark, rich chocolate into silky smooth cream was a beautiful sight lol

The menu isn't big, as they only serve drinks and desserts. There is a minimum charge of $65 per head, so it's probably best to order a dessert each! We ordered 3 desserts:

Sift Chocolate Cake

Sift Chocolate Cake

Sift Chocolate Cake, $72: This was impressive! I really enjoyed the flavour, texture and presentation of this dessert. A combination of chocolate fudge cake, layered with chocolate ganache, jivara cremeux and praline crunch, it was so satisfying lol. The presentation is simple - the cake itself placed on one side of a long, narrow plate, topped with some crunch flakes. The other side of the place was simply a line of crunch flakes - simple, elegant, lovely! The excess flakes on the side was perfect, because I love them and it adds crunch to the cake. Now, the cake itself. It was very chocolately, very rich yet not overwhelmingly sweet. The temeperature was good, cold enough and the texture was heavenly. The smooth chocolate mousse was greatly contrasted with the dense, moist cake and crunch. Yum!!!!!! For all you chocolate lovers out there, this is a recommended!
Choocolate and Strawberry Pavlova

Choocolate and Strawberry Pavlova

Chocolate and Strawberry Pavlova, $90: This was also a delight to look at from start to finish. A beautiful piece of chocolate pavlova covered with some whipped cream then a generous layer of strawberries and a final sprinkle of grated chocolate. This is served with a little glass of Chardonnay Jelly. This was good in contrast with the chocolate dessert because it was lighter and more refreshing. This dessert was great too. The chocolate pavlova was light and airy. Crispy on the outside, moist and chewy in the middle. Paired with the whipped cream and strawberries (you can't really go wrong with strawberries and cream!), it was a great summer dessert. The strawberries were a little sour, but that didn't really matter because the pavlova was sweet and chocolatey. The jelly wasn't really my thing, don't really like such strong alcoholic flavour in my desserts. For those who do, might like it - was cold and light, interesting contrast in flavour and texture with the pavlova itself.
Molten Chocolate Cake

Molten Chocolate Cake

Molten Chocolate Cake, $85: Only had one bite of this one, but it was a nice, satisfying bite! The cake was warm and the inside definitely molten. It was rich, dense, moist and chocolatey. Topped with some ice cold vanilla ice cream and chocolate almond crunch it was very warming. It's heavier than the other two dessert, maybe also due to the fact that it is served warm. For me, that's fine ... it is dessert afterall tongue!

The place itself is quite cosy, since we chose to sit at the bar, I couldn't tell if the tables were too close to each other. Atmosphere was nice, quite good for chilling with the girls. Service was fine too, the chef behind the bar was the one who took our orders and he was quite friendly. Great place it you have time for a nice dessert, especially to all those girls with a sweet tooth like me!

Likes: Sift Chocolate Cake
Dislikes: -
Come Again? Yes
Room for Improvement: Their menu (physically) because it didn't really give a good first impression when you sit down, open the menu and the paper is slightly crumpled with some stains. They can do much better! Other than this, really quite a unique place they've got.

Recommended Dish(es):  sift chocolate cake

Date of Visit: Aug 20, 2011

Spending per head: Approximately HK$85(Other)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

2 Vote(s)   View Results
Low Sugar, a Bonus!! Smile Jul 27, 2011   Edit
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Dessert

Came here with friends for dessert after a hot pot dinner. Entrance was crowded, but we wanted to try it so we stayed and waited. "Receptionist Man" was very enthusiastic, loud and motivated for his job, how fun to watch tongue! 10 mins wait wasn't too bad, for the amount of people waiting outside. They have quite a lot of tables inside.
咖啡果凍伴雪芭

咖啡果凍伴雪芭

We ordered a few things to share. 咖啡果凍伴雪芭 was very smooth and rich! I am not a big fan of coffee, but really enjoyed this dessert. The scoops of ice-cream-like parfait was smooth and silky with some crunchy texture and bits of ice. Extremely like lol! Along with the coffee jelly, it was a interesting combination of textures and temperature. Plus, can't get this anywhere else!
芒果椰汁清心圓

芒果椰汁清心圓

The 芒果椰汁清心圓 was average. I think that the coconut base/soup was too watery. It would be better if they added some mango juice for more substance and taste. The 清心圓 was good, although not as good as 合成's. There was also sago and mango bits. Was an interesting combination but the coconut soup let it down!
芝麻湯圓

芝麻湯圓

I didnt taste the Sesame Glutinous Ball, but I tried the Sesame Soup that went with it and it was definitely low sugar! Wasn't too sweet, but nothing special.
Malteser 糯米糍

Malteser 糯米糍

The MALTESERS MOCHI!!!! lol Was my favourite dessert of the night! I've heard good things about it, finally got to try it! As I like things that come in small portions, these tiny chewy balls coated with cocoa powder hit the spot! A whole malteser in the centre, wrapped in a thin layer of chew glutinous layer then coated with cocoa powder. So simple but delicious! Chewy on the outside, followed by a chocolatey layer of maltesers then a crunchy malt centre. WOWWWW! They were so yummy I bought one box to takeaway and bring home to share with my lovely family! smilesmile
芒果糯米糍

芒果糯米糍

The Mango Mochi however, was slightly disappointing. Maybe a little biased as I didn't like them so big. But the mango seemed unfresh and the texture was slightly too soft. The glutinous layer was too thin compared to the big piece of mango and not chewy enough. The whole mochi was just soggy and soft. Boo!

The restaurant itself is quite nicely decorated but the seating was very crowded. I guess this prevents the long wait. The service could be improved - our desserts came at very different times and we had to catch up on our mochi because they took so long. Logically, they could've given them to us first because they are already packed! When we paid on our way out, they even stacked up a few boxes of malteser mochi: I'm guessing a lot of people order takeaway! Anyway, I like the fact that this place is low sugar, providing feel-good desserts! A less sweet, more healthier option for dessert smile big menu too!

Like: MALTESER MOCHI and Coffee Parfait
Dislike: Mango Mochi
Come again? Yes!

Recommended Dish(es):  咖啡果凍伴雪芭,Malteser Mochi

Table Wait Time: 10 minute(s)

Date of Visit: Jul 22, 2011

Spending per head: Approximately HK$30

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

1 Vote(s)   View Results
A true HK experience :) Smile Aug 24, 2013   Edit
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Tea Restaurant

There are mornings when you'd wake up and just crave for some good old cha-chan-teng food. This was one of those, so we headed towards Sheung Shui to visit Guong Shing Ice Cafe. I've been here a couple of times before and I've always loved the vibe there - simple menu and old school decor. Service is questionable, but that's all part of the fun.

The first to arrive was their Egg Sandwich. The egg was still hot and cooked just the right amount of time. The bread to egg ratio was perfect - just enough soft bread to wrap around the substantial omelette.

The beef in this Beef Macaroni was tasty - it looked slightly undercooked when it arrived, but the hot soup cooked it to the perfect texture. It was delicious with some of their chilli sauce. However, the macaroni was a little too soft for my liking.

Of course I had to order their famous Red Bean Ice. Love the looks of it. The cone of shaved ice meant that it was cold enough for such a hot summer day. The beans were nicely cooked, meaning they weren't too mushy. Yum!

HK style French Toast is so addictive. Nothing beats a piece of bread deep-fried in egg batter, topped with a generous slice of butter and syrup. This was done well too!

I would definitely recommend Guong Shing Ice Cafe to anyone who lives closeby (not sure if its worth travelling all the way for, as you can easily find substitutes in Kowloon or HK side). This, from now on, will be my go-to place when I need some HK-style food!

Recommended Dish(es):  西多士,蛋治,牛肉通粉,紅豆冰

Date of Visit: Aug 12, 2013

Spending per head: Approximately HK$50(Lunch)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |
 2  |

Horrific Boss Cry Aug 23, 2013   Edit
Categories : Japanese | Sushi/Sashimi | Skewer

It's been a while since my last review here on OpenRice. I have been away from Hong Kong studying, but now I'm back for good and the reviews will come piling in!
This one is an awesome way to start off my blogging again. To say that my experience at 八王子 was HORRIFYING is an understatement. Not only am I never coming back again, I will also make sure that none of my friends ever visit this place. huffy

As our food began arriving, we were all pleasantly surprised.

The Tamago with Eel was average. It was room temperature - not hot enough but not cold. It was soft and quite nice with the sauce of the eel.

The Roasted Salmon California Roll was quite nice. The salmon was roasted until it was half cooked and it was a good combination with the sushi roll.

The Hamachi Sashimi was the best dish of the night. I was fresh and good value for money. we also ordered other dishes such as Toro Sushi Roll, Avocado Shrimp Sushi Roll, Soft Shell Crab Salad, Sashimi Salad, Deep Fried Tofu and Sushi Platter. I thought their sushi and sashimi was better than their other dishes.

About 45 minutes later, we were done with everything on the table. There was one item that we were still waiting for - the cheese mochi cake (芝士年糕). So we waited about 10 minutes before we asked our waiter. He helped us follow up with the kitchen. After another 10 minutes, we asked again. He told us politely that the kitchen would need another 5 minutes. So we waited. Another 15 minutes went by and it still didn't come. We asked the waiter to come by so that we could cancel it. My boyfriend, Mr. K, asked him if it was possible to cancel it because we have waited way too long and that the rest of our food was finished 30 minutes ago.
At this time, the boss had already changed out of his uniform and having a drink with one of his customers/friends at a table nearby. He heard what we said, interrupted his staff, and told us loudly that "IT'S COMING, IT'S COMING."

Mr.K: We have been told that it was coming for the past 30 minutes and it has still not arrived. We have finished all our food ages ago and we would really like to cancel it. (Note that up until now, the conversation between Mr. K, the boss and the waiter was still happening in a very civilized manner.)
Boss: (to the waiter) OK OK, just take it off the bill.
Just as we thought that this was the end of it, the boss turned to Mr. K and began SHOUTING across the restaurant, the exact words below:
Boss: HEY, CALM DOWN, BOY!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

My friend, shocked that these words just came out of his mouth, told the boss NICELY to stop telling his customers to "calm down".
Boss: THIS IS MY PLACE, THIS IS MY PLACE.

We refused to believe that this was happening. At this point, the two other tables next to us were staring in disbelief. One of them, who were also English speakers, started to giggle. We did not say anything.

Boss: DO YOU WANT E TO KNEEL ON THE FLOOR AND SAY SORRY TO YOU? DO YOU WANT ME TO FIRE ALL MY STAFF? WILL YOU BE HAPPY THEN?

huffy
huffy huffy huffy huffy huffy

The other table asked for the bill and left. We immediately asked for the bill too. As if that wasn't enough, we eventually realized that the restaurant had charged us for a beer that we didn't order. However, since we had already paid, there was no point in returning. Safe to say, none of us will ever return.
I am not sure why the boss would speak to his customers in such a manner. Whether it was under the influence of alcohol or not, it is unacceptable for a boss to act that way in front of his staff and customers. I feel sorry for the members of staff that served us that day, as they were doing their job well but ended up getting no tips. I would've come back for the food, but after this incident, never again.

Date of Visit: Aug 19, 2013

Spending per head: Approximately HK$300(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 3  |

Amazing Anniversary Dinner! Smile Aug 23, 2013   Edit
Share on TwitterShare on Facebook
Categories : Western | Steak House | Hotel Restaurant | Fine Dining | Romantic Dining | Special Occasion Dining

Mr. K and I have always wanted to try the Grand Hyatt Steakhouse. Our 7th anniversary was the perfect occassion to give it a go!

Our table was perfect for an anniversary dinner. Situated in a room near the kitchen, each table was made up of two leather couches facing each other, enclosed from other guests dining next to you. As soon as we sat down, we knew were going to enjoy this meal. Our waitress Joyce brought us some Garlic Bread to begin with. No matter how hard I tried to resist them to save my appetite for the food, I couldn't. They were buttered with the garlic mixture on both sides and toasted until crispy...yum!

Starters

Of course, I had already checked out OpenRice reviews before coming. Everyone raves about their crab cakes and scallops. As seafood fans, we didn't hesistate one bit before ordering these. The Seared Maryland Crab Cakes were fresh and full of crab meat. Cooked to perfection, they weren't dry like other crab cakes I've tried before. The Pan Fried Diver Scallops were even better. I'm a bigger fan of scallops than of crabs and these were no exception. The scallop itself was left slightly undercook so that the insides were still juicy and tender then topped with a bit of tomato salsa and bacon bits. I devoured these two dishes with a glass of Chardonnay Cote Sud Domaine Serene. Even without the steak, my life at that moment was complete.

Mains &
 Sides

Our Day Aged Prime Rib Eye arrived on a table like a celebrity approaching the stage. It was so dramatic I wanted to applaud...it was served on a chunky wooden board, cooked to the requested medium rare and accompanied with three sauces: Béarnaise, Green Peppercorn and Brandy and Mushroom Ragout. Joyce offered us a selection of mustards to go with it. To be honest, I didn't feel the need for any sauces or mustards. The steak was already good by itself, especially the flavour of the charcoal grill on the outside layer of the steak.

As sides, we ordered their Aged White Cheddar Macaroni. The macaroni was al dente, a great plus. I hate overcooked pasta...even in Mac & Cheese! I thought this would've tasted great on its own as a course, but as a side, it was too overpowering for me. I much preffered the Truffle Fries with Parmesan, which wasn't on their permanent menu. I hope that they move this onto their menu as it was spectacular. The fries were the right thickeness and crispiness, even after we were done with the steak. The hint of truffle was not too strong, but perfect accompanied with the grated parmesan. I would happily go back JUST for these fries!

Dessert

Even though we were stuffed by the end of the steak, we refused to leave without properly ending our meal. We went for the Chocolate Mud Pie, which was served with home-made vanilla ice cream and raspberries. The cake itself was dense and chocolatey. The raspberries gave it a tanginess so that it wasn't too heavy, and the vanilla ice cream prevented it from tasting dry. We weren't able to finish the mud pie but our attentive waitress, Joyce, spotted the bottom layer of the cake and told us that we were missing out on the best part of the dessert. We gobbled that down too and she was definitely right. The thin, crispy, wafer layer on the bottom of the mud pie was the perfect ending to the night.

The Grand Hyatt Steakhouse exceeded all our expectations and I have already made a reservation for next month. I'd like to give a special mention to Joyce for her graceful service. This is a rare place that manages to get all the basics right and doesn't bring anything over the top - good food served perfectly in a comfortable environment.

Recommended Dish(es):  Seared Maryland Crab Cakes,Pan Fried Diver Scallops,Rib Eye 565g,Truffle Fries with Parmesan,Chocolate Mud Pie

Date of Visit: Aug 14, 2013

Celebration:  Anniversary

Spending per head: Approximately HK$1100(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 5  |