OpenRice 主頁      English OpenRice      TableMap      開飯遊踨
   中文 | English
stinkies
This is stinkies . I like to hang out in Causeway Bay, Wan Chai. Shanghai, Italian, Western are my favorite cuisines. I also love Hotel Restaurant, Western Restaurant, Coffee & Tea Shop and Pizza, Dim Sum, Wonton/Dumpling, pasta.
Member 1 First(s)
No. of Review90 Review(s)
編輯推介數目8 Editor's Choice
Recommended12 Recommended
Popularity6977 View(s)
Replies in Forum3 Comment(s)
Upload Photos339 Photo(s)
Upload Videos0 Video(s)
My Recommended Reviews8 Recommended Review(s)
我的餐廳6 My Restaurant(s)

Full View Full View   |   Map View Map View
Showing 16 to 20 of 90 Reviews
Calmness and Delightness Just OK Jun 01, 2012
Categories : Western | Coffee & Tea Shop | Casual Drink

Along the buzzling Times Squares in Causeway Bay, it's hard to find any silence around the area. Cafes are normally filled with people, crowded and noisy. Nonetheless, right opposite to Times Square, at a barely noticeable entrance, there's a small cafe that allows you to find a sense of calmness and quietness from all the busy cosmopolitan. Not that I mean there aren't much customers, but it just feels like after walking through that corridor, you have found a quiet corner separating you from the outside.
It's definitely not a big place, but I find the surrounding, with all the wooden chairs and tables, sets a really calming atmosphere and ambience. You make your orders at the counter and the waiters will serve it to your table when it's ready.
It just feels wrong to not try out the coffees at a cafe. I've heard they make good latte art, and I'm anticipated to acknowledge it.
We ordered a cup of Mocha and a cup of Cappuccino. Soon enough they were ready, and served on our table.
The latte art on the mocha was a face but, hilariously, an unhappy face. This unhappy face, however, had the ability to make you smile though as you can tell the latte art was really nicely done and it was beautiful.

The mocha tasted great. The blend of coffee and chocolate was fabulous.
The latte art on the cappuccino was really nice too but less impressive than that on the mocha. It was a flower.

The cappuccino was good too. The milk foam was rich, and together with the coffee, it made a rich velvety texture, which was totally pleasurable to drink.
I was impressed with their coffee and was more happier to find it totally not pricey at all.
One of the most popular food items here is undoubtedly the All Day Breakfast, and so we had one too. It was nice presented and to our amusement, the ketchup on the hash brown made a smiling face, which definitely lightens you up when you see it.

The set involves a piece of herbed bread with butter, scrambled eggs, a piece of hash brown, sausages and salad. The herbed bread indeed tasted great yet I'd prefer it to be toasted or warmer. The scrambled eggs was nice enough, pretty flavorsome and had a nice smooth texture. The hash brown was moderate, tasting not too special but glad to find it not too oily. There was nothing special about the sausages, I believe they were just some common sausages that you get to have all the time. The salad was refreshing and made a good balance in the dish.
We also ordered another dish from the menu, which was the Italian Omelette.

I liked the color of the ketchup and mayo on the omelette. It made the dish looked colorful, made the dish looked interesting and delightful. The filling inside the omelette mainly included bell peppers and mushroom and cheese. The filling was flavorful, and a bit creamy, yet I think the flavor of the cheese could have been stronger. I expected the egg itself should have a more creamy and velvety texture but it disappointed me a little bit. There was salad as a side dish, with mayo dressing. I disliked the addition of the mayo dressing on the salad. It seemed to me that the omelette was supposed to be something tasting heavy and so the salad should be refreshing and light instead of making it heavy as well with the mayo dressing.
I have always loved to wrap up my dinner with desserts, so, last but not least, I ordered the Earl Grey Chocolate Tart.

After all the satisfaction above, I must say I was a bit disappointed to this. I could barely taste the flavor of earl grey. There wasn't even a slight hint of the flavor of earl grey. Nevertheless, if you consider it merely a chocolate tart, it was still a delight to have. The chocolate, on the other hand, was rich in flavor. I liked how the chocolate wasn't too sweet and heavy but rich in flavor.
To sum up, I totally adored this place. I noticed that they always make the food nicely presented before serving. For instance, the latte art on coffees, the ketchup in the All Day Breakfast set, the ketchup and mayo on the Italian Omelette, as well as the chocolate syrup on the Earl Grey Chocolate Tart. It may seem to be just tiny little things, but I appreciate how they wouldn't ignore such tiny details and made every dish look great and presentable even though it might not taste stunning. It was these little things, a little more effort, that makes everyone smiles when the see their food. With the calming atmosphere here, this place definitely lightens one up after staying a while. We certainly need the calmness and delightness from all the pressure and buzzling cosmopolitan outside. This is certainly a nice place to chill.

Recommended Dish(es):  Cappuccino,Mocha

Date of Visit: Feb 24, 2012

Spending per head: Approximately HK$98(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Best of the Best Smile May 30, 2012
Categories : Guangdong | Chinese Restaurant

Almost a year ago, I have been to the Tso Choi at Jordan. I was slightly disappointed with the food at that time as I've heard about this restaurant for so long yet the food was not anything special. Now I've come to its headquarters and decided to give it a second chance.
The place looked neater than I expected. The setting is really bright and the fact that not many customers were around made it more comfortable and enjoyable to dine.
Just as the time at Jordan's, I ordered its famous Pork Belly w/ Preserved Vegetables (梅菜扣肉) and Rice w/ Lard (豬油撈飯). Shortly after your orders, the waiter delivered a jar of lard and a bottle of soy sauce. Then the rice came in a wooden barrel, as how rice with lard is supposed to be.

The way of having rice with lard is to first add lard then soy sauce to your rice and mix it up. I remember last time at Jordan, the flavor of lard was not fully being brought out and the rice didn't taste any special at all. However, the rice with lard here was absolutely stunning! Imagine the sensation of the aroma and flavor of lard filling all over your mouth. A much delightful thing is that you need not to add in lots of lard and soy sauce in order to gain this sensation, little will do already.
Then came the pork belly w/ preserved vegetables.

Preserved vegetables has always been my favorite food item to eat with rice. When the dish arrived, its stunning aroma filled the room. Not only does it smells amazing, it tasted flabbergasting as well. The preserved vegetables has a hint of sweetness and won't get too salty along with the sauce. The best part is that it absorbed the essence of the meat in the pot. As for the meat, it might seems to have a bit too many fat to some people, but it's alright to me. The meat is very soft and definitely flavorsome. As for its fat portion, the sensation is indefinable. It sort of melts in your mouth, in a definitely alluring way. Nothing could've felt better than having this.
Now this is the kind of quality that I have been expecting for such a renowned restaurant instead of that I had at the shop in Jordan. Nothing can compare beyond the sensation of these hearty food here. It totally has given you a sense of satisfaction, and giving you an unforgettable experience for your tongue.

Recommended Dish(es):  梅菜扣肉,豬油撈飯

Date of Visit: May 25, 2012

Other Ratings:
Taste
 5  |

A Pity Cries May 30, 2012
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Snack Shop & Deli | Dessert

Beancurd dessert has always been one of my most favorite dessert. It is always such a refreshing dessert. I was hanging around Kowloon City and felt like sitting down and have something refreshing, and so I came to this place which is renowned for its beancurd dessert.
Under such hot weather I ordered a cold one and I was glad that it arrived fairly fast.

I find the beancurd dessert itself has a pretty sweet syrup already and need not to add brown sugar to raise the sweetness. It has a pretty rich soy flavor, and together with the syrup it tasted absolutely refreshing. However, I find the beancurd dessert not smooth enough at all. It's not rough but it doesn't have the essential and crucial quality of beancurd desserts. It felt more like tofu soaked in syrup instead of beancurd dessert and it's an epic failure to me.
Without the smoothness, I am sorry to say that the beancurd dessert was not exactly acceptable to me. It didn't manage to give me the chilling sensation. Even though it has distinct soy flavor, I'd have to downgrade this place. I have to admit that it's a pity.

Date of Visit: May 25, 2012

Spending per head: Approximately HK$9

Other Ratings:
Taste
 3  |

View Results
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Noodles/Rice Noodles

In a Hong Kong style restaurant, a bowl of instant noodles is a very important food item as instant noodles appears in almost every dish if you are not ordering rice.
Who doesn't know how to cook instant noodles? Even the dumbest person knows how to, but having a really nice bowl of instant noodles does not appear everywhere all the time. Firstly the texture of the noodles has to be good, and the soup base is equally important as well.
The name Wai Kee Noodle Cafe has long been a pretty renowned Hong Kong style restaurant. It has a setting of an old-style Hong Kong restaurant in a neighborhood back in the old days. Inside the restaurant, there's no air conditioning. It is a small crowded place. At the instant we sat down, a waiter came forward to take our orders. I have thought about what to try already and made my orders.
Fast enough, a bowl of Pork Liver w/ Instant Noodles ($25) came. The bowl of noodles is steaming hot, with many pieces of pork liver in it, and you can also know that the soup base has a nice strong flavor by the smell of it.

Pork liver hasn't been my favorite food item. Nonetheless, I find myself quite liking the pork liver here. The pork liver has a smooth and chewy texture. More surprisingly is that it is able to give an al dente texture. I am certain that the pork liver contributed to the strong flavorful soup base as well. The soup contains the essence from the pork liver, as well as a mild yet distinct flavor of ginger and every sip of it is definitely warming. The instant noodles is pretty memorable too. What's great about it to me is that it absorbed the essence of the soup base yet still remained an al dente texture and didn't get soggy even after a while.
Halfway through the noodles, the Kaya French Toast ($15) came too.

It is thoughtful of the cook to have cut the french toast into four pieces. The french toast is not like the typical Hong Kong style french toast where the toast is deep fried. I believe this is a slightly healthier version of the french toast. I liked the golden yellow surface of the french toast. The egg mixture is coated evenly and the egg flavor is sort of distinct too. In between the toast, there's a layer of kaya. However, I think the kaya didn't stand out in the toast. Perhaps the kaya layer may be too thin, and so the flavor is not totally being brought out when there is a pretty strong egg flavor on the toast. Kaya french toast is supposed to give you a sense of guilt after eating but this one didn't make feel so. Since it's not the typical deep fried french toast in the Hong Kong style, it didn't even give me a sense of guilt from the Hong Kong style french toast.
Perhaps the french toast wasn't flabbergasting, but the pork liver noodles is undoubtedly really good. I dare say it is even the best in town ever. I appreciate that they don't only focus on the topping, i.e. pork liver, but never neglected the quality of the instant noodles. That is why I think it's definitely a perfect bowl of noodles.

Recommended Dish(es):  豬潤麵

Date of Visit: May 07, 2012

Spending per head: Approximately HK$20(Tea)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Best Egg Tarts Smile May 29, 2012
Categories : Hong Kong Style | Bakery

Egg tarts are undeniably one of the best representatives of Hong Kong food. Simple as it seems but making a really high quality one isn't easy. Egg tarts are surely not difficult to find, they are basically everywhere. Yet the problem is where to find the best egg tarts.
Hearing a friend recommending egg tarts from Kowloon City, I decided to pay a visit too. As I arrived, I am glad to find that it's an old style bakery. It always seems that the old style ones serves a better quality than those of franchised. To me, this is because the old style ones actually poured their hearts into making their various food items and you can taste out and feel the effort behind.
The outside of the shop has many newpaper and magazine cuttings stuck on the glass walls. As I stepped in, I reckoned it is a fairly small shop. There are lots of shelves with a wide variety of food but has only little space to walk around. I was fortunate to have come at a non-busy hour where there were not much customers around.
I bought half a dozen of egg tarts in order to get a box. The box is flowery, sort of in a fancy way for a little girl in the old times. It does not portray a luxurious image at all as it Chinese name says. Anyway, the egg tarts are very warm, in which I believe are just out of the oven not long. It looked and smelled stunning.
$5 / tart
$5 / tart

I immediately took one out to try after I left the bakery. The pastry is perfect, the egg custard filling is perfect, the whole egg tart is simply flawless. The pastry has sort of a crunch and fluffiness. It has a pretty distinct flavor which its strength is to the right point and won't get too over and blended well and balanced with the egg custard filling. The egg custard filling is amazingly rich and velvety. It has a really smooth texture and stunningly strong and distinct flavor of the egg too. As I know, the reason for this is that they use salted egg to make it. It is the salted egg that gave such a distinct flavor. Together with the use of cream whipped together, it then gives such a velvety and rich texture and flavor respectively.
Although it costs $5 per tart, which is not exactly cheap, it is undoubtedly one of the best egg tarts in town for me and I think it's worth it.

Recommended Dish(es):  酥皮蛋撻

Date of Visit: May 07, 2012

Other Ratings:
Taste
 5  |

View Results