OpenRice 主頁      English OpenRice      TableMap      開飯遊踨
   中文 | English
This is el.bar .
Member 0 First(s)
No. of Review41 Review(s)
編輯推介數目2 Editor's Choice
Recommended8 Recommended
Popularity3557 View(s)
Replies in Forum0 Comment(s)
Upload Photos232 Photo(s)
Upload Videos1 Video(s)
My Recommended Reviews0 Recommended Review(s)
我的餐廳40 My Restaurant(s)

Full View Full View   |   Map View Map View
Showing 1 to 5 of 41 Reviews
18 Grams Smile Sep 04, 2013
Categories : Western | Coffee & Tea Shop

The place is teeny-tiny and I was lucky I only had to wait 5 minutes to get a table. The customers who arrived after me had to wait much longer for theirs.

Orders are taken (and paid) at the little counter on the store-front. I had no idea that this was how it's done here but for the friendliness and great customer service of one of the servers. Thank you, unnamed server, for letting me know and for being so accommodating.

I've been craving for Eggs Benedict but ended up with Eggs Hemingway instead (smoked salmon instead of ham; a much healthier but just as yummy option, in my opinion). I also ordered a glass of iced hazelnut latte to help chase the rich, runny goodness of poached eggs down.

Awesome Breakfast Food During Dinner
Awesome Breakfast Food During Dinner

This was my first visit to 18 Grams and I loved it. I loved how the muffins edges were toasted, I loved the creamy runiness of the poached eggs, and the Hollandaise sauce was perfect, too. I would most definitely like to come back and try their other Eggs Benedict variants.

Recommended Dish(es):  Eggs Hemingway

Table Wait Time: 5 minute(s)

Date of Visit: Aug 26, 2013

Spending per head: Approximately HK$128(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Restaurant Week: The Salted Pig Smile Aug 12, 2013
Categories : Western | Western Restaurant

Away from the hustle and bustle of Lan Kwai Fong and Soho, The Salted Pig is located on the 2/F of posh L Place along Queen's Road.

As we were ushered to our table, I couldn't help but smile at the über jovial attitude of the staff assigned to us. When we told him that we were there to celebrate a birthday, he immediately told our birhtday celebrant that she gets a glass of wine on the house for her birthday. Good job at winning us over with excellent service!

The ambiance was a toss between casual chic and intimate - the decors and lighting suggested intimacy but the music and loud chatter between tables suggested otherwise. The place looks great for a relaxing chit chat with friends, but maybe not for a date (unless, I suppose, if you get one of those slightly secluded booths they have on the quieter side of the restaurant).

They have a bottle of Porkus wine on every table. No idea if this is any good as we didn't try ours but I just find it cute to have a bottle of wine with a picture of a pig in a pork-themed restaurant.
Porkus
Porkus

We had the 3-course restaurant week dinner set.
Restaurant Week Menu
Restaurant Week Menu

We started with:

Soup in a bread bowl - very filling with mild garlicky tones and an amazing pot pourri of textures in your mouth with every spoonful. (The bread bowl itself was pretty yummy, too!)

Brioche toast with mushroom spread - the toast was delicious with a slightly sticky top and crumbly bottom, but the mushroom spread had a weird aftertaste and took some getting used to. We didn't finish this one.

Scallops wrapped in bacon - this was awesome. I can't imagine anybody going wrong with anything wrapped in bacon.
Starters
Starters

For mains we had:

Crispy pork knuckle - this was good for two people and was just amazing. It was cooked to a beautiful pink-red colour that was oozing with flavour and meat so tender they were almost melting in your mouth. The skin was crispy and the tendon in between so chewy. The portion was more than adequate and came with fried potatoes, sweet potatoes and sauerkraut.
Awesome Cripy Pork Knuckle
Awesome Cripy Pork Knuckle

Chopped Cripy Pork Knuckle
Chopped Cripy Pork Knuckle

Fish and chips - this was okay. It might even have been good had we not had the cripy pork knuckle along with it.
Catch of the Day
Catch of the Day

And finally for dessert, we had both the strawberry custard and the chocolate sundae.

I don't know how the strawberry custard was because I didn't try it but the chocolate sundae was just delightful.
Dessert
Dessert

Would I ever go back? Yes, definitely, there's still so much pork dishes to try.

Recommended Dish(es):  Crispy pork knuckle

Table Wait Time: 0 minute(s)

Date of Visit: Aug 07, 2013

Occasion:  Birthday

Spending per head: Approximately HK$360(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Munch Just OK Mar 25, 2013
Categories : Western | Western Restaurant | Special Occasion Dining

It was late when we went so we didn't need a reservation to get a table at Munch. Although they have set dinners (appetizer + main + dessert + coffee/tea), we opted to order a la carte.

First we had the scallop salad:
Scallop Salad
Scallop Salad

This was so delicious. The scallops were fresh and there's a burst of contrasting texture from the scallops, water chestnut, jelly and avocados.

We also ordered the crab cake, which was also pretty good; unlike the experience of some of the other reviewers, our crab cake didn't have chunks of crab shells mixed in.
Crab Cake
Crab Cake

For mains, we had steak and lobster:
Steak and Lobster
Steak and Lobster

Although the steak was very tender, it wasn't exceptionally tasty. The lobster was a little too well done making the meat chewier than it should be.

And for dessert, we had the chocolate lava cake (with vanilla ice cream):
Chocolate Lava Cake
Chocolate Lava Cake

It was delicious! The chocolate was very thick but not overly sweet so even if you eat a lot, it doesn't make you queasy.

The service was okay - not overly great or memorable, but it wasn't bad at all either. The ambiance was good; there's not much of a view but the interior was designed to be conducive to slow, enjoyable dining.

Recommended Dish(es):  Chocolate Lava Cake

Date of Visit: Mar 20, 2013

Spending per head: Approximately HK$405(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Brickhouse Smile Mar 25, 2013
Categories : Mexican

Brickhouse is located inside a tiny alley sandwiched between two buildings along D'Aguilar Street. There are no giant neon signs pointing you their way and the only clue that you'll get is the myriad of people hanging around inside a dark alley. Go right in, it's safe.

They don't take reservations and there's a maximum dining time of an hour and half. This place is always jam-packed and unless you're willing to wait two hours for a table, I suggest coming here as soon as they open (which is exactly what we did last Saturday).

In spite of the dining time limit, the ambiance seemed relaxed and people looked chilled out and none seemed to be in any hurry to finish their meals.

We ordered four dishes, all of which were delicious.

We had the chips and salsas:
Chips and Salsa
Chips and Salsa

and the octopus tostadas - this was my favourite dish of the night. They did not scrimp on the octopus which were also perfectly cooked; it was tasty and very filling:
Octopus Tostada
Octopus Tostada

we also took side avocados which were lightly sprinkled with rock salt. We drizzled some fresh lime juice over the avocados before devouring them and they were just perfect:
Side Avocadoes
Side Avocadoes

and finally, the taco platter. This consisted of five different taco fillings, all of which were distinctly flavoured so you don't get the feeling of eating the same thing again.
Taco Platter
Taco Platter

Perfectly paired with all these dishes is the house margarita:
Brickhouse Margarita
Brickhouse Margarita

Gotta love places that have original artwork decorating their walls:

As busy as the whole place was that night, the staff managed to maintain friendly and accommodating; the service was both fast and efficient. And although we went slightly over the hour and a half dining limit, nobody asked us to leave.

I'll definitely keep coming back to this place (assuming of course that I can keep getting a table).

Recommended Dish(es):  Octopus Tostada,Taco Platter

Date of Visit: Mar 23, 2013

Spending per head: Approximately HK$350(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 5  |

Paisano's Smile Mar 18, 2013