OpenRice 主頁      English OpenRice      TableMap      開飯遊踨
   中文 | English
梵高將軍
This is 梵高將軍 . I am a Armchair General , work in Admiralty. I like to hang out in Causeway Bay, Tai Kok Tsui, Tsim Sha Tsui. Korean, Singaporean & Malaysian, Japanese, Pub Food are my favorite cuisines. I also love Bar, Snack Shop & Deli, Dai Pai Dong, 居酒屋 and Robatayaki, Skewer, Hot Pot.
Member 14 First(s)
No. of Review257 Review(s)
編輯推介數目125 Editor's Choice
Recommended555 Recommended
Popularity33067 View(s)
Replies in Forum90 Comment(s)
Upload Photos1727 Photo(s)
Upload Videos75 Video(s)
My Recommended Reviews342 Recommended Review(s)
我的餐廳425 My Restaurant(s)

Aromatic chili oil;
Extremely good service. Highly motivated staff ;
Highly recommended!

Desert Storm:

This famous ramen shop had been on my "to eat" list for ages. One day, after I finished working in Tsuen Wan, I decided to try this out, nothwithstanding the heat (30-31°C!)

It was not too far away from Tsuen Wan MTR station and relatively easy to find.

在荃灣MTR行約十分鐘便到。長巷型的店舖,基本上全是對著Open Kitchen的Bar位。環境不錯。店員很有禮,很有熱誠。讚!
在荃灣MTR行約十分鐘便到。長巷型的店舖,基本上全是對著Open Kitchen的Bar位。環境不錯。店員很有禮,很有熱誠。讚!

The shop consisted essentially of a long corridor.  All the chairs were bar stools. Some were next to the open kitchen. Decent spaces between chairs and good air-conditioning.

Selections:
選擇一目瞭然。
選擇一目瞭然。

Gyogai and tonkotsu ramen (with soup);

Tonkotsu ramen (without soup);

Tomato broth; and

the "Red Storm" (gyogai tonkotsu with special chili oil).

Needless to say, I chose Red Storm.

Red Rainstorm:
非常好的魚介豚骨湯。如店方標榜一樣,確是濃而不膩。似豚王高峰期的清醇版。魚介有點似Agura.  即使有辣油亦不會蓋過原味,讚!溏心蛋的質素不錯,和日本一蘭的差不多。溏心之餘蛋白幼滑但Agura的蛋味仍略勝一籌。
非常好的魚介豚骨湯。如店方標榜一樣,確是濃而不膩。似豚王高峰期的清醇版。魚介有點似Agura. 即使有辣油亦不會蓋過原味,讚!溏心蛋的質素不錯,和日本一蘭的差不多。溏心之餘蛋白幼滑但Agura的蛋味仍略勝一籌。

Good presentation.
使用辣油而不是辣味噌。辣油很香,入口有辣勁和香味但味道不會停留很久。大辣都可以的。比舞心的更好。龍也的辣比較香,始終是我的最愛。 但台風的湯混合了用蒜和辣椒醃的芽菜和蔥亦很不錯。

Broth :

Very good Gyoga and Tonkotsu with secret chili oil.  shocked

Not as overpowering as Musashi or Hide. The gyogai taste is probably similar to Agura but mixed with very smooth Tonkotsu , almost remisant of a light version of Buta O. Very good.

The chili oil had impact and was also very aromatic. The chili taste won't last too long in your mouth though. I ordered 'big spicy'. This was manageable. I thought this was better than Red David. Completely different from Akao in ButaO (they used "spicy miso") or Ramen Kura. However, I still prefer Tatsuya when it comes to spicy ramen. Tatsuya's was not that spicy but more aromatic. Still, I was very happy with the Red Storm. smile

The broth mixed well with the freshly chopped spring onions and the bean sprouts marinated in red chili and garlic.

Noodles:

Good quality wheat from Japan. Springy with pronounced wheat taste. Harder than most in HK, which should be great news for most ramen lovers. smile

Substantial portion!
麵條:使用日本小麥。麥香突出。麵條十分爽口,硬度必定屬Top 3. 比 Agura 更硬。比日本博多一蘭更爽口一點。
麵條:使用日本小麥。麥香突出。麵條十分爽口,硬度必定屬Top 3. 比 Agura 更硬。比日本博多一蘭更爽口一點。

Char Siu:

I wasn't too impressed with this pork shoulder when I first looked at it. But these two large pieces were surprisingly tender and aromatic. Σ(゚д゚lll) There were also some Chopped Char Siu in the broth as well, which I thought was pretty good. smile
第一眼望到這片叉燒覺得會有點硬,有點失望。但這兩塊豬肩肉出奇地軟熟和有肉味。湯內亦有切碎了的叉燒-讚!
第一眼望到這片叉燒覺得會有點硬,有點失望。但這兩塊豬肩肉出奇地軟熟和有肉味。湯內亦有切碎了的叉燒-讚!

Gyogai:

Need more gyogai? Just mix it in your broth with the fish/shellfish powder resting on a piece of nori. Good for gyogai fans.
在紫菜上有更多魚介粉,可混入湯底加強魚介味。
在紫菜上有更多魚介粉,可混入湯底加強魚介味。

Egg: No complaints but Agura's is still more flavourful.

Bamboo shoot: Nice and crunchy. Good stuff.

chopstick

Free soft drinks during tea time.

HK$83. No service charge.

Conclusion:

One of the staff members was highly motivated and friendly. He definitely knows his products very well and seemed passionate about ramen. I had a pretty big suitcase with me at the time. He helped me move it around and looked after it. That was much appreciated. smile

I live pretty far from Tsuen Wan, but I will definitely return just for Taifu.

Highly recommended.

lol
由於我個多月前才在日本吃過一蘭,所以暫不會排大隊去吃香港的新店。如閣下有時間,我反而會提議先來台風,等熱潮減退才去一蘭。

I just had Ichiran in Japan so I am not in any rush to try Ichiran Hong Kong. If you have the time, I recommend trying this first.

Spending per head: Approximately HK$83

Other Ratings:
Taste
 5  |
 5  |

Categories : Italian | Hotel Restaurant | Wine | Fine Dining | Romantic Dining

摩登南意菜式;
時尚裝修。服務好。
食物設計很有心思,
視覺享受比味道更好*

Contempoary Southern Italian cuisine.
Nice view. Good service.
Impressive food presentation and concepts;
but average taste at above average prices.

TOSCA:

My dear readers might already know my views on "contemporary cuisine" in general. So suffice to say that my wife choose this for her birthday. I'll try to be positive and brief about this one.

Booking: Being a Michelin 1 start restaurant, booking is mandatory. The restaurant will give the table to others if you're late for 15 minutes.

Decor: Extremely high ceiling with dark, classy decors. Decent space between tables.

Menu: Choose from the traditional menu (2-3 courses - $1,000 and $1,300 with wine pairing), the classical menu (which covered most of their signature dishes - $1,300 and $1,900 with wine pairing) and other items with black truffles. ($280 – about $500 if I remember correctly). A number of antipasti, pasta, fish, meat and poultry are available from the a la carte menu.

We chose a “Classico” menu without wine pairing and I ordered something I thought might be more orthodox, namely, sea bass gnocchi and lamb chops.

時尚裝修。樓底極高。服務不錯。
時尚裝修。樓底極高。服務不錯。

Breadbasket:

All of those were cold and hard. However, the one that looked like a puff pastry tasted pretty good.

Being messy with breads as usual, I left some breadcrumbs on the table. I was expecting the waiters to clean it up before the starters arrived. However, everyone ignored it until I almost finished the whole meal. Not what I’d expect from a 1 star fine-dining restaurant.

Starters:

Mackerel, baby onions and risotto with squid ink.
鯖魚及 BB洋荵夠鮮。RIsotto又乾又硬, 墨魚汁有點毛筆的墨汁味。
鯖魚及 BB洋荵夠鮮。RIsotto又乾又硬, 墨魚汁有點毛筆的墨汁味。

The mackerel was good. Like what we get at decent Japanese restaurants, only much smaller. The baby onions were fresh. The risotto was bad. The rice was too hard, which left a bad taste when mixed with the pungent squid ink. We did not like it.
chopstick

Chocolate tomato: Essentially it’s chocolate which did not taste like chocolate with tomato which did not look like a tomato.
朱古力沒朱古力味反有番茄味。番茄則變成泡沫。內有小量雜菜及一塊意式杏仁餅。
朱古力沒朱古力味反有番茄味。番茄則變成泡沫。內有小量雜菜及一塊意式杏仁餅。

The chocolate tasted like tomato and the tomato was turned into foam. All these were placed on a bed of salad and a piece of almond cookie. Visually interesting.

chopstick

Squid with green pasta (again, I’ve simplified the name somewhat): The presentation was nice. The few slices of squid were decent. However, my wife thought the green pasta was too salty. I thought the same. Perhaps the imagery is a squid swimming in the sea (the salty pasta being the sea).
葉綠素意粉太咸。小量墨魚則不錯。
葉綠素意粉太咸。小量墨魚則不錯。

Roasted Pork Ribs with basil seed:

I was tempted to order this when I first looked at the menu...
與想像中有很大落差。沒有燒過的痕跡。有點像煲湯的豬展。上有苦的Basil種子, 很奇怪。
與想像中有很大落差。沒有燒過的痕跡。有點像煲湯的豬展。上有苦的Basil種子, 很奇怪。

...but was glad that I didn’t.

I was expecting something similar to an old-fashioned roasted suckling pig (similar to Chinese style or Portuguese style.) This, being the contemporary version, wasn’t crispy at all. It was actually quite gooey. It was remotely similar to a Chinese braised pork belly but not as tender. They might have used lean meat instead of pork belly. It was rather bitter because of the basil seeds. Not spectacular.

Zucchini with chickpeas...etc.
左上角是煎膿了的意粉包著一點肉類。雞咀豆做的餅很有趣。Zucchini切得很好。
左上角是煎膿了的意粉包著一點肉類。雞咀豆做的餅很有趣。Zucchini切得很好。

The top left item was essentially burnt spagetti wrapping some sort of meat. The spagetti was not crunchy. It was too hard. The small block of chickpea was interesting. The zucchini was visually impressive. The tomato was good.
chopstick

Lobster Ravioli with black truffles: This was complimentary so perhaps I shouldn’t be too harsh on this.
不知為何免費送的。雲吞內外都有很多芝士。黑松露很香。一起吃較好。
不知為何免費送的。雲吞內外都有很多芝士。黑松露很香。一起吃較好。

I could find no trace of lobster in the big ravioli wrapped with a lot of cream and cheese sauce. The ravioli had more cheese and some spinach in it. The generous black truffle shavings were very aromatic. My wife and I thought this was just so-so. But cheese lovers might appreciate this.

chopstick

Sea bass gnocchi: Gnocchi is one of my favorite types of pasta. After having a very good piece of fried turbot at Limehouse, I was looking forward to a simple pan-fried sea bass on a bed of gnocchi when I ordered this.
半件魚變成魚醬蓋著另外半件魚。肉質偏厚,竟有點像吃豬肉。全晚覺得這個較好。
半件魚變成魚醬蓋著另外半件魚。肉質偏厚,竟有點像吃豬肉。全晚覺得這個較好。

Again, my culinary horizons expanded (in other words, my hopes were dashed.) This time, part of the sea bass was transformed to a thick cream and some fried gnocchi. The cream covered the untransformed part of the sea bass. Some fried gnocchi were placed on the cream.
To be fair, the taste was not bad at all. The texture of the sea bass was interesting; it felt more like pork than fish. If I had to choose, I think this was the best dish of the night.

chopstick

Lamb chops with lamb belly:

Finally, something I could recognize visually.
除一小塊羊腩有點肉味外, 羊扒全無肉味。Medium亦比預期中硬。後面的薯塊和薯片亦一點薯味也沒有。Hugo's 的好多倍。
除一小塊羊腩有點肉味外, 羊扒全無肉味。Medium亦比預期中硬。後面的薯塊和薯片亦一點薯味也沒有。Hugo's 的好多倍。

Nevertheless, the much anticipated lamb chops were a bit of a disappointment. Notwithstanding the outer crust with herbs, the lamb chops were bland and not very tender (I ordered medium). The one small piece of belly had more taste. All in all, those at Hugo’s were much better. Not worth $600 odd.

chopstick

Service was good but slightly more intrusive than I had expected it to be. Everyone was friendly though.

My wife had “fruit gnocchi”, which was essentially chopped fruits on a bed of what seems to be panna cotta. I had a glass of lemoncello. This brand was a lot more bitter than the one I’m used to.
雜果放在類似Panna Cotta 的cream 上。
雜果放在類似Panna Cotta 的cream 上。

送咖啡應不錯。
送咖啡應不錯。

The whole meal came down to HK$5,500 odd. It definitely burnt a hole in my wallet. I wasn’t too happy about the quality of the meal.

Luckily, we had a HK$1,000 gift certificate which sweetened the dinner somewhat –

much better than my lemoncello.
借酒消愁, 愁更愁。這比我喝過的苦,檸檬味不突出。 幸好有一張Ritz Carlton $1,000現金券, 否則埋單約$5,500會更苦。
借酒消愁, 愁更愁。這比我喝過的苦,檸檬味不突出。 幸好有一張Ritz Carlton $1,000現金券, 否則埋單約$5,500會更苦。

*即【好睇唔好食】。

Table Wait Time: 0 minute(s)

Spending per head: Approximately HK$2750(Dinner)

Dining Offers: Ritz Carlton $1,000 gift certificate

Other Ratings:
Taste
 3  |

Categories : Taiwan | Hot Pot

台式小火鍋專門店;
很鮮甜的蕃茄湯底;
很有特式的豬血糕;
小店環境不錯, 服務好。
會再試!

Decent Taiwanese hot pot restaurant.
Hotpot for one with unlimited sides;
Very flavourful tomato broth;
Interesting Taiwanese black pudding.
Worth a try!

I like Ipot:

I was drawn to this Taiwanese hotpot restaurant because of the black pudding. I've had Taiwansese black pudding many years ago in, surprise, surprise, Taiwan.

This place was fairly near Tai Hang MTR station and wasn't hard to locate.

It's a relatively small restaurant. Simple decor, brightly lit with just about 4-5 tables for two and about two bigger tables for groups of 4-6. The air ventilation was acceptable. No complaints.

小店形式。3-4張 2人抬及2張6人抬。光猛。通風算很不錯。服務亦親切。
小店形式。3-4張 2人抬及2張6人抬。光猛。通風算很不錯。服務亦親切。

chopstick

A number of set meals were available at fairly reasonable prices.

We chose a Lobster set at HK$360 and a Standard meal set at HK$270
多款套餐供應。每人約$200-$380不等。
多款套餐供應。每人約$200-$380不等。

選了套餐後(主要是湯底和跟餐肉類的分別)可加錢追加其他肉類。
選了套餐後(主要是湯底和跟餐肉類的分別)可加錢追加其他肉類。

Broths:

Spicy:
You could choose from different levels, from the lowest "minimal" level, then "Baby level" all the way up to "Hospital level" and "Coffin level". I choose "Baby" first. It was really quite mild.

I asked the friendly waitress to "upgrade" the level of spiciness of my broth - twice.  So I suppsoe my broth should be at least "Hospital" level if not "Coffin" level. Even at those levels, it's managable. It's not as spicy as Tan You Tou's or even Ling Kee. It had more cinnamon taste. Not bad but not spectacular.
我們點了番茄湯及 【BB】級麻辣一試水溫。發覺真的很BB。友善的台灣侍應幫我加辣兩次。應達''醫院''或''棺材''辣但譚魚頭或寧記的更辣。
我們點了番茄湯及 【BB】級麻辣一試水溫。發覺真的很BB。友善的台灣侍應幫我加辣兩次。應達''醫院''或''棺材''辣但譚魚頭或寧記的更辣。

Tomato broth: The tomato broth on the other hand was wonderful. It had a very refreshing tomato taste. Definitely one of the best in town. Recommended.  lol
十分清甜。可能是暫時吃過最好的蕃茄湯。
十分清甜。可能是暫時吃過最好的蕃茄湯。

chopstick

Kagoshima pork: I almost confused this with very thin lamb meat. Not bad but not as tasty as I had expected it to be. Kagoshima pork is usually a lot more flavourful. A bit pricey for HK$270, the second most expensive item on the menu (the first being beef).

New Zealand lamb slices: Pronounced and flavourful lamb taste. The texture was firm. I'm more happy with this than the pork from Kagoshima.  smile
肉味和肉質均不錯。有點騷味。比鹿児島豚肉好。豚肉有點''削'',價錢偏貴。
肉味和肉質均不錯。有點騷味。比鹿児島豚肉好。豚肉有點''削'',價錢偏貴。

chopstick

Lobster: Very flavourful. shocked  Excellent with the tomato broth! Not a lot of meat but the lobsters turned the whole tomato broth into a quasi lobster bisque! Σ(゚д゚lll) Very good.
跟海鮮餐的一隻小龍蝦與蕃茄湯非常夾。肉的份量OK。
跟海鮮餐的一隻小龍蝦與蕃茄湯非常夾。肉的份量OK。

Unlimited sides:
每款套餐都有兩小時任吃自助食品。
每款套餐都有兩小時任吃自助食品。

A special feature of this place was that they served all you can eat sides. They had a decent amount of vegetables, interesting variety of fish balls and meat balls such as:
Taiwanese Mushroom and Pork balls, Octopus , Cod fish mixed with tofu, Salmon fish dumplings, Lobster balls, Crab Roe balls, Cheese fish balls, fish balls with broth/chili/cheese...etc.

The Salmon dumplings reminded me of the fish sausages made in Japan.
質素不錯, 飽肚之選。
質素不錯, 飽肚之選。

The veggies were very fresh. They had lettuce, turnip, enoki, lotus roots, spinach, tofu and more.

Unlimited non-alcoholic drinks such as soft drinks and three types of juices ("dark plum" juice, roselle (?) juice and standard plum juice).

However, the alcoholic drinks were exepnsive. I ordered three cans of Taiwan Beer -two gold label and one pineapple beer. HK$30 per can. Pretty pricey in my opinion.

(Btw, talking about pineapple beer, the one made in China and sold in most supermarkets is even better.)

Paid sides:
其他追加的食品價錢合理但啤酒$30一小罐則有點貴。
其他追加的食品價錢合理但啤酒$30一小罐則有點貴。

chopstick

Black pudding: The much anticipated black pudding. Thinner than the one I had in Taiwan and had no "five spices". Surprisingly better in the tomato soup than the spicy broth. It's like a soft and chewier version of black pudding. I'm very happy with this. lol

It might have been better if they could provide "5 spices powder".

(HK$20 for 10 thin pieces.)
遠道而來的就是為了這個。$20十塊。比台灣的薄一半。味道差不多。如有五香粉則會更好! 滿意的一餐。
遠道而來的就是為了這個。$20十塊。比台灣的薄一半。味道差不多。如有五香粉則會更好! 滿意的一餐。

chopstick

Conclusion:

Because of the beers and the kagoshima pork, it came down to about HK$380 per head.

I was very happy with the whole meal.

Excellent service. The Taiwanese lady was smiling throughout and very friendly to customers.

It's refreshing to experience genuine Taiwanese hospitality (and Taiwanese black pudding) in Hong Kong again!

Recommended.

lol

Recommended Dish(es):  蕃茄湯,紐西蘭羊肉,龍蝦,豬血糕

Table Wait Time: 0 minute(s)

Spending per head: Approximately HK$380(Dinner)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Categories : British

英式煎魚午餐質素很高.
香草薯茸及略為煎香的蔬菜有誠意.
裝修簡約舒適,能令人放鬆.
服務好。如在附近, 不妨一試。

Nice, simple soothing decor;
Flavourful and creamy soup;
Very good pan fried turbot;
Great ambience, good service;
Simply good.

Limehouse:

After a particularily busy morning in an already hectic week, I was longing for a place to have some peace and quiet. It was either O La La (for noodles) or Limehouse.

It was my first time here and I wasn't quite sure what to expect in view of the mixed reviews.

The first thing which impressed me was the simple and soothing wood based decor with cool air-conditioning and relaxing guitar as background music.

The wooden tables and chairs were reasonably spaced apart.

chopstick

The quiet spoken waiter handed me a simple menu, aptly entitled, the "Simple Lunch":
應定時轉的簡單餐牌。晚上好像有Fish&Chips供應。
應定時轉的簡單餐牌。晚上好像有Fish&Chips供應。

I ordered the pan fried turbot.

I suspect they change this now and then. I believe they do fish and chips at night as well.

Soup of the day:

This was "Cream of Pea and Crab Meat". This was very good.  Rich, smooth, and creamy. There was a fair amount of crab meat and a smaller amount of green peas.
蟹肉份量絕不欺場。配上青豆茸的忌廉湯及很幼滑, 味道亦濃郁。很不錯! 但沒有餐包供應很不尋常。
蟹肉份量絕不欺場。配上青豆茸的忌廉湯及很幼滑, 味道亦濃郁。很不錯! 但沒有餐包供應很不尋常。

The slight quibble I had was that no bread was provided together with the soup, whch was very odd for a Western restaurant. sad Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the soup.  lol

Pan Fried Turbot with Mango Tomato Salsa:

Two large pieces of turbot on a substantial bed of mashed potatoes.

The mashed potatoes were smooth and buttery. Not as buttery as the signature mash at Robuchon a Galera but certainly a lot healthier. The herbs inside the mash added complexity to the taste.
煎得皮脆肉嫩,魚油豐腴。時間掌握得十分好。很讚!
煎得皮脆肉嫩,魚油豐腴。時間掌握得十分好。很讚!

The two turbot fillets were large and had a lot of fish oil. The skin was nice and crispy but the meat was tender. It mixed very well with the sweet mango and tomato salsa sauce.
沒有像澳門米芝蓮三星老富昌般像吃牛油一樣但仍富有牛油香味。混了香草吃起來多了一份層次感。
沒有像澳門米芝蓮三星老富昌般像吃牛油一樣但仍富有牛油香味。混了香草吃起來多了一份層次感。

The good amount of veggies that came with the turbot were also fresh and crunchy. Even the Brussels Sprouts were slightly pan fried beforehand, which got rid of the grassy taste in most sprouts.   lol
跟餐的薯菜都很有水準。菜曾被輕輕煎過,去除了草青味。
跟餐的薯菜都很有水準。菜曾被輕輕煎過,去除了草青味。

chopstick

The set came with a cup of lemon tea:
隨餐的檸檬茶味道平衡不錯。服務員很有禮貌。整過用餐過程不錯, 會再試!
隨餐的檸檬茶味道平衡不錯。服務員很有禮貌。整過用餐過程不錯, 會再試!

The waiter was extremely polite and efficient.

chopstick

I was very happy with this simple lunch. This will definitely be another place I'll return to if I need a quite and simple lunch.

Recommended.

smile

Recommended Dish(es):  蟹肉青豆茸忌廉湯:,煎魚:

Table Wait Time: 0 minute(s)

Spending per head: Approximately HK$120(Lunch)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 4  |

Categories : Japanese

Nice environment
Average food.
Poor value for money.

Less meat, more vegetables:

Queuing up for organic vegetables is not my ideal way of spending a Sunday afternoon. My wife was interested in trying this newly opened Muji Cafe so being the good husband I complied (I managed to persuade my wife not to try this for dinner the night before. A boring lunch is more bearable than a boring dinner.)

Much to my surprise, even at 2:30p.m., we had to queue for more than 10-15 mins.  shocked

You can have a look at the menu while you're queuing, the theme here being "Nutritious, Healthy Food" and "Less meat; More veggies." Sounds expensive already.  tongue
簡約裝修, 環境不錯。要''蹋''抬的。 慨念: 健康的原味料理。
簡約裝修, 環境不錯。要''蹋''抬的。 慨念: 健康的原味料理。

System:
The system of purchasing food is a bit similar to Starbucks. First you queue for a table. After you get a table, queue at the food counter and choose what you like. Pay at the cashier there and then. After you finish, I think you're supposed to hand your trays back to the staff.

Although the menu featured twenty main items, I saw less than half of those actually available at the food counter.
主要都是沙律, 薯仔和南瓜構成的菜式。有少量雞肉和豬肉供應。

有少量熱盆。每客大多是以2小塊肉為單位,分量很小。

Standard 4 items set (HK$98):
炸雞肉質極鞋。兩塊炆熟的南瓜加芝麻沒甚特別。沙律和雜菜新鮮但份量和居酒屋前菜一樣。不抵食。味噌湯和十穀飯則不錯。
炸雞肉質極鞋。兩塊炆熟的南瓜加芝麻沒甚特別。沙律和雜菜新鮮但份量和居酒屋前菜一樣。不抵食。味噌湯和十穀飯則不錯。

This was what my wife choose:

Two pieces of chicken chunks: This was covered in what appeared to by sweet Thai style chilli sauce one uses for dipping prawn cakes. The meat was extremely tough. MacDonalds or KFC serve more succulent chicken pieces. Bad start.  sad

Vinegar marinated bitter gourd, egg plants and carrots: This was just like some appetizers you get for free in many Japanese restaurants. I'm not sure whether the bitter gourd was from Okinawa or not. It was quite bitter but had a strong liqourice aftertaste. The egg plants and carrots might have been from Japan. Not bad.

The black seaweed (hijiki) is yet another typical appetizer at Izakayas like Hoka Hoka or Fuji no Sahi. It's apparently good for your hair. Those were mixed with some turnip sprouts. This combination was rather weird. At least the sprouts were fresh. Again, not bad.

Nasu with fried pork: These were marinated in a bit of miso. Again, fresh vegetables and decent pork meat but nothing wildly different from most authentic Japanese restaurant in town.

Miso soup: The miso soup was similar to a "tonjiru" (miso soup with carrots, burdock, onions and slices of pork) served at Ootoya. The quality was good. The miso was fairly pronounced . The veggies in it were crunchy too. Good.  smile   (You can purchase the miso soup at Muji.)

On average, it's about HK$18-20 for each small scoop of "appetizers". Not value for money.

Less meat, Less vegetables:
試了太太的4品料理後已很無癮。為求止蝕及飽肚點了咖哩飯。($80)
試了太太的4品料理後已很無癮。為求止蝕及飽肚點了咖哩飯。($80)

I wasn't interested in pay HK$98 for four small scoops of veggies. Fortunately, there was something which looked more substantial - "Butter Mixed Vegetables Chicken Curry." (HK$80)

It's supposed to be "North Indian Style" curry with veggies and chicken chunks. When it arrived, I was fairly disappointed with both the amount of curry sauce and the amount of meat and veggies in the curry.
實物和圖片差天共地。汁及料都極小。只得一塊一分為二的雞肉及八小粒雜菜。
實物和圖片差天共地。汁及料都極小。只得一塊一分為二的雞肉及八小粒雜菜。

Felt rather different from the photo.  sad
咖喱汁毫無辣度但有點牛油香。送十穀飯不錯。套餐可點一款Deli內的食物。兩塊黑醋豚肉很不錯和大戶屋差不多。
咖喱汁毫無辣度但有點牛油香。送十穀飯不錯。套餐可點一款Deli內的食物。兩塊黑醋豚肉很不錯和大戶屋差不多。

The curry seemed to me to be a lighter and milder type of S&B curry. It wasn't spicy at all. To be fair, it was fairly smooth and had some buttery taste.

However, it only had a pathetic amount of chicken in the "chicken" curry: just one small piece of half a chicken chunk. sad  Less than ten pieces of veggies. In my humble opinion, this is bringing the "less meat" concept a bit too far.

You could choose between normal rice or "10 grain rice". Similar to what you could get at most health food shops nowadays. I'm pretty sure MUJI sells that too. The rice was pretty soft and fluffy. It was good.  smile

As part of the set, you could choose an item from the food counter. I choose pork belly in vinegar sauce. The pork was good. It reminded me of the black vinegar dishes served at Ootoya. Again, the portion was rather small. If this was part of the "4 Item set", it would mean about HK$18-24 for two slices of pork belly.

The miso soup was similarly good.

Nevertheless, because of the poor curry, I was not happy about my set at all. I finished the whole set in 15 minutes but felt pretty hungry afterwards.

Sweets:
隨處可買到的Caramel pudding 及茶味帶苦的檸檬茶 - $68  總結: 食物質素不錯(所以挽回OK)但份量太少,不抵食。不會再來。
隨處可買到的Caramel pudding 及茶味帶苦的檸檬茶 - $68 總結: 食物質素不錯(所以挽回OK)但份量太少,不抵食。不會再來。

The caramel pudding came with a cup of lemon tea. The taste of the lemon tea was too strong. My wife couldn't handle it.

The caramel pudding was not significantly different from those one could get in most super markets. Is this worth HK$66? I'm not sure. Having said that, it is a comfy place with good service.

Less is not more:

My wife's lunch set with the pudding set came down to HK$166. For a similar price, you could get unlimited refills of fresh veggies AND unlimited cooked dishes at "Vegi" (TST branch - but that was a while ago.) I consider the price here a bit of a rip off.

I will not consider returning. I thought long and hard on whether this should be OK or a Crying face. My wife thought it was OK (perhaps because I paid.) To be fair, the quality of the food was OK. But the price wasn't.

You've been warned.

4品及甜品餐約共$165。 以差不多價錢在Vegi已有無限素菜和熟食放題。(曾在TST店吃過, 不知現在還有沒有。)

Table Wait Time: 15 minute(s)

Spending per head: Approximately HK$98(Lunch)

Other Ratings:
Taste
 3  |